Saturday, November 28, 2009

Yay! The Stockings Match PERFECTLY!

Woo Hoo!

I'm so glad I changed to smaller needles on the Christmas stockings. Now, they are matching EXACTLY! Yay!
Stockings - Size Match

It's not an easy task, knitting with all those different skeins of yarn, but I'm dealing with it.
Stocking Back - Lots of Yarns

Now, I'm onto the next stocking, to do the children, Santas, and trees. SO glad I got the needle sizing figured out. :)

Finishing Up the Bernat Star Afghan

It took two months of knitting, with only three rows of purling at the very end. Now, it's finally complete! I finished weaving in all the ends today, and ran it through a cold rinse cycle with fabric softener in the washing machine.

Here's how it looked before blocking:
Star Afghan Finished

Next, I needed to block it. After placing my usual blocking pad on my bed, I put the afghan on it, and realized that it was too large to block there. So, I just pinned it on the wall! Ha! (The wall will be worked on this year anyway, during our house repair work.)
Star Afghan - Blocking on Wall

Friday, November 27, 2009

Sometimes, You Just Have to Say, "Enough Already!"

I was happily knitting along on the Christmas stockings I'm making for commission. I had completed the names on all 3 stockings, and was halfway through the intarsia charts on the first stocking.

I decided to hold up my knitting and compare it to the original stocking the client gave me. BUMMER! My knitting was WAY too large. :(

Too Large with Size 5 Needles

I tried to convince myself that it wasn't that bad. Maybe she would be satisfied with it anyway. I knit a few more rows, and felt worse and worse about it. Then, I held up the "children" section of the stocking, and realized that the knitting had holes in it, because my needles were too large. Also, the children didn't look right - their hands looked like claws. Ugh!

Oh well.....I decided to frog all that work, up to the names. The names looked good as they were. Then, I realized that it would be next to impossible to frog this work - all those color changes would be a pain to unravel. So, I grabbed my scissors and cut it off. DONE! It actually felt kinda nice....disciplining the "bad" knitting. Ha!
Stockings - Cutting

To the Trash

So, now I'm starting the intarsia sections again with smaller needles (size 3 this time). At least I got plenty of practice with the charts!
Stockings - Children Chart

Stockings - Basket of Yarn

Friday, November 20, 2009

Bernat Star Afghan is Growing

I have been so busy working on the Bernat Star Afghan. It will be such a relief to actually finish it.

Now, it's the size of a lapghan.
Bernat Star - Throw

Monday, November 2, 2009

Knitting the Night Away

It seems like I do my best knitting in the middle of the night. I have trouble sleeping at night sometimes, so I just park myself in the craft room and knit away.

Here are the Christmas stockings I'm working on for a client. Getting more serious about them now, since they are due by the end of November.
Christmas Stocking Names

The Bernat Star Afghan is growing nicely. Now it's as big as a seat cushion!
Star Growing

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a forum moderator and blogger for Spinrite Yarns (, and I spend WAY too much time there. :D You can also find me on the Knitting Help Forum occasionally