Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Whole Lotta Needlecrafting Goin' On!

I'm getting better now at doing simple crochet stitches. Nothing fancy, but that's okay.

Here's the green dishcloth I made for my Mom on St Patrick's Day:
Green Cloth for Mama

When I finished it, she asked if she could have TWO, so I made another one with thicker yarn:
2 Green Dishcloths for Mom

The first cloth was made with DK yarn (Plymouth Stone Cotton) and a size F hook. I used Bernat's free pattern called "Handicrafter Cotton Dishcloth for Beginners". I added a border all around, using one round of single crochet, and another round of half-double crochet. I like it!

The second cloth was made with worsted weight Lily Sugar 'n Cream cotton and a size H hook. I made it the same way, to help make the cloths look like a set. I think my Mom likes them! :)

I posted photos of the cloths on my Facebook page, and some of my friends started asking if they could buy some from me. Then, the secretary at my church asked for one also. So, I grabbed a skein of Kraemer Yarns Tatamy Tweed DK, with a size F hook, and quickly made one for her. She hugged me when I handed it to her this past Sunday! :)
Dishcloth for Johnsie

I'm also making a bathroom rug, holding together two strands of Bernat Handicrafter cotton yarn. The colors of the yarn are Pilgrim Peach, and Country Blue.
Bathroom Rug

To make that rug, I measured the size of the floor I'm wanting to cover. Then, I did a little swatch, to see how many stitches per inch I got. Then, I multiplied that number by the number of inches I wanted it to be. That told me how many chain stitches I would need to start off with. Now, I'm just doing single crochet every row until it's long enough. It's slow going, but I'm halfway there!

In the middle of these projects, I also knit two sections on an Oddball Blanket.
HollyP's Blanket

Last week, I decided to make some quick slippers for my Grandma. It's her 90th birthday! She loves the slippers I make for her, and calls them her "booties".
Softee Chunky Slippers for Grandma

I made those slippers in one day, using the "Slipper Sock" pattern by Tropical Yarns. Instead of using two strands of worsted weight yarn, I used one strand of Bernat Softee Chunky. Worked perfectly!

Now, I'm making another pair for my son Josh, in red. Photos soon!

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I can't wait to try the slipper pattern. Lovely dishcloths, rug and blanket. Love all the things you make--some day I want to do as much as well!!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a forum moderator and blogger for Spinrite Yarns (www.yarnspirations.com), and I spend WAY too much time there. :D You can also find me on the Knitting Help Forum occasionally