Monday, October 18, 2010

Falling in Love with Crochet

Here's the last Christmas stocking I made for a customer. (Finally took a photo of this one.)
Christmas Stocking 4 Complete

I've also been busy learning to crochet, using Bernat's Mystery Blanket CAL. Nice to finally get comfortable with the craft again. I couldn't crochet for the longest time, because of my arthritis. I just had so much pain from the twisting, that I didn't think I would ever be able to crochet again.

Over the past 7 years, I have concentrated on knitting instead....learning a lot, and feeling very proud of my knitted creations. During these years, I've collected several knitting magazines, books, and patterns. I've also spent hours gazing online at interesting designs with yarn. Occasionally, I have found some GORGEOUS creations that don't involve knitting - just crochet. It has been frustrating, since I didn't think I could crochet anymore.

In the midst of this frustration, I have watched others crochet, and noticed that some people were using a different kind of hook - an ergonomic hook! So, I decided to buy a few. As usual, I used coupons at Hobby Lobby and AC Moore for my purchase. Pretty soon, I had a decent collection of ergonomic hooks, including a nice Provo Craft set with interchangeable hooks.

Up until now, I've only done very basic crochet stitches, and haven't really understood how to read a crochet pattern very well. So, I decided to join in on the Bernat Mystery Blanket CAL, and give it a try. I figured that I would learn more about crochet, and would hopefully get one step closer to being able to make some of those pretty crochet designs I've seen on the internet.

Now, after 4 weeks into the CAL, I can honestly say that I've learned a LOT! I'm comfortable reading a crochet pattern now, and have learned how to hold the ergonomic hook effectively. I have to constantly remind myself to KEEP IT SLOW while I'm working, so I don't overdo it. I am tempted to let the hook fly, and crochet quickly.....but I know I will pay the price with pain....so I make myself go slowly and carefully.

Here are the granny squares I've made in the CAL:
Granny Squares

I've made other squares of different designs as well, but you'll have to watch the Bernat Blog to see photos of them.

Now that I've learned how to crochet safely (without pain), I am taking another look at those pretty crochet designs I want to make. I know that I still need some more practice, so I think I'll do some easy and intermediate level crochet designs to give me that experience.

I think I've fallen in love with crochet. :)

1 comment:

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

I love your stocking. I am so glad you are now enjoying crochet without pain. I have the same issues, too. I just have to take it slow. :)

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a forum moderator and blogger for Spinrite Yarns (www.yarnspirations.com), and I spend WAY too much time there. :D You can also find me on the Knitting Help Forum occasionally