Monday, October 24, 2011

Mill End Bags at AC Moore

As usual, I've been adding yarn to my craft room.  I just can't pass up a good deal on yarn.....especially since I knit so much.  AND, I have so many knitting and crochet friends that will help me use the yarn for charity. :)

Recently, I've fallen in love with the mill end bags at AC Moore.  I have gotten some INCREDIBLE deals on yarn that way.  Sometimes, I'm not exactly sure which yarn it is, or even the brand name.  But it's still good quality yarn.  Occasionally, I will come across a few bad spots, but that's to be expected with mill ends.  Most of it is in great shape, though. 

The great thing about mill-end bags is that they contain SIXTEEN OUNCES OF YARN! 
That's a full POUND of glorious yarn to work with - AWESOME!

So, now that you know about my mill-end yarn obsession, it's time for me to share some photos of the mill end bags I've bought so far.  I never pay full price for mill ends.  I always use a 40% or 50% off coupon.....which makes my deal even better!  AC Moore usually has great coupons on their website, and I think they accept competitor coupons as well.  You'll have to check with your local store to confirm that, though.

To get your AC Moore coupons, go to this website, and enter your zip code (or city and state):
http://www.acmoore.com/e-acm.StoreLocator.aspx

Here are the mill end bags I've gotten at AC Moore, for less than $4 a bag!

Magenta Nylon, which I believe is Patons Allure

Unknown Magenta Nylon

A variegated acrylic yarn, that looks and feels like Bernat Mosaic, but it's in a colorway I've never seen before

Bernat Mosaic - Mill Ends Greys

Some very nice ruffle yarn - I mean, it's WEDDING QUALITY. Very good yarn. I truly believe that it's Trendsetter Cha Cha, but I could be wrong.

Mill Ends - Ruffle Yarn

Some colorful mohair yarn. I KNOW that it's mohair, because when I opened the bag, it smelled like fresh, clean goat! Ha!

Mill End Mohair

Another bag of acrylic yarn that feels like Bernat Mosaic - but no variegation. Very odd color, too. But, it would work well as a shawl, I bet.

Bernat Mosaic? - Mill Ends Bag

I have NO IDEA what this yarn is, but it's a lovely DK cotton blend, in a nice dark blue color.


Mill End - Blue DK blend

This is another pretty DK blend. This time, I'm sure it has acrylic...but not sure what else is in there. I really like the tweed look of this yarn. I wish I could find another bag of it, but that's the breaks!


Mill End DK Brown Multi

I really love this gorgeous purple boucle. Should make a very nice hat, scarf, and mitten set. Yum!

Mill End Purple Boucle

This past week, I found this very pretty baby pompadour yarn. At first, I thought it was Lion Baby Soft, but it's thinner than that yarn. Maybe it's Bernat Baby Sparkle? Whatever it is, it will work perfect for knitting a christening gown, or making baby burial outfits.

Mill End Pompadour

Check out this nice cotton! I'm positive that it's Bernat Cottontots. Looks very similar to Ecru, but it's a teeny shade darker. Will work great for washcloths. :)

Mill End Cottontots

Last but not least is this fun poodle-y pom pom yarn! This is just one skein I got out of the bag, so you can see how it looks. I have 4 skeins of it now!

Bernat Puff Ball?

Lots of fun yarn, isn't it? So, if you haven't looked at mill-end bags before, give it a try. They usually have lots of dishcloth cotton and crochet cotton, plus some standard worsted weight acrylic.

3 comments:

Delisa said...

Hi Shandeh! Thanks for the tip. I have never seen these mill end bags before, what a wonderful deal. The projects are going to be so beautiful. I hope you have a great time knitting and crocheting up all this delightful yarn! Delisa :)

Shandeh said...

Thanks Delisa! I hope you can find mill-end bags in your part of the world. I've heard that you can sometimes find them at JoAnn's, Zellers, or the Spinrite Factory in Canada. Some Walmarts carry mill-ends also.

You can even buy mill-end bags online at http://www.shopcaron.com/Mill-End-One-Pound-Bag-Yarn_p_30.html

But, you have to pay shipping for that, so it's not as good of a deal as buying it at a store.

If you start to really get into mill-ends, be sure to join the Mill End group on Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/groups/mill-ends

2Catholics said...

I too love the mill end bags! I try to use a coupon whenever I can. Thanks for the tip on the Ravelry group. I will need to check them out!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a forum moderator and blogger for Spinrite Yarns (www.yarnspirations.com), and I spend WAY too much time there. :D You can also find me on the Knitting Help Forum occasionally