Monday, October 31, 2011

Remodeling My Craft Room

Finally, I am re-doing my craft room!  I've been needing to do it for quite some time. 

First things first:  Get everything out of the room.
  This took a LONG time.  About a week. 

  Some of the stuff went to the living room.

Living Room Getting Crowded

All that stuff was not craft related anyway, so it's gonna stay OUT of the craft room from now on.  (Well....except for the sewing machine.)

More of the stuff went to the hallway.  Now there is a tiny pathway there, where I have to sneak through sideways.  And the rest of the stuff went to the big bedroom across the hall from the craft room.

Now, I can REALLY see how much craft stuff I've accumulated!  Yikes!

After several days of moving stuff out, I still had a pile of yarn bags in there:

Craft Room Almost Empty

And on the other side of the room, I had bookcases, filled with craft magazines and books:

Craft Room Still Has Lots to Come Out

I let myself take a break occasionally, as I was emptying the room.  I would work for about an hour, then take a nap, or have a snack, or play a computer game.

After I finished taking those photos, I took a little break, then went back in there to get all the yarn bags off the floor.  I decided that I needed to replace the flooring, because it's just in such bad shape.

Another View of Damaged Flooring

I installed those tiles over 4 years ago, and they were the thin, cheap version at Lowe's. 

After some consideration, I chose some new tiles at Home Depot.  They are thicker, and look much nicer than the ones I installed last time.

But before I could install the tiles, I needed to repair the holes and tears in my existing floor.  So, I went to Ollie's discount store, and bought some cheap tiles to use for the repairs.  I used a hair dryer and my hands, to pull up the bad tiles, and replaced them with mismatched tiles.  No need to worry about how it looked, because I would soon be covering the whole floor with new tiles.

It only took about an hour to replace all those bad tiles.  Sure looks funny with those mismatched tiles, doesn't it?  And now, I had a smooth floor, to use as a base for my NEW tiles!
Damaged Tiles Replaced

Today, I finally installed the new tiles over half the floor in the craft room.  I love how it looks!

Tile Done in Half of Room

Tonight, while everyone else in the world is celebrating Halloween, I'll be installing the rest of the tiles.  Then, tomorrow, I'll be sawing, sanding, and painting toe molding to go around the edges of the floor.  Hopefully, I'll be setting up my new craft room in just a few days!

1 comment:

Delisa said...

Hi Shandeh, how beautiful! The tiles looks great. I just got done reorganizing my room too. I didn't redecorate but I went through all my yarn and craft books and have everything back in it's place. It feels so good to be able to find stuff now and know exactly what I have! :) I can't wait to see how it all looks when you are finished. Have a lovely afternoon. Delisa ;)

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a forum moderator and blogger for Spinrite Yarns (, and I spend WAY too much time there. :D You can also find me on the Knitting Help Forum occasionally