Friday, December 23, 2011

Footississimo - Very Very Thick House Slippers

Okay, say you find the thickest yarn you've ever seen in your life.  For example - Red Heart Boutique Doodle.

Red Heart Boutique Doodle

Now, take it home, and try to knit or crochet with it, using the absolute biggest needles and hooks you can find.  It's a LOT of work to make stitches out of this yarn - but it is possible, if you are patient.  The yarn is actually made for non-needle crafters, who can just knot or braid the yarn by hand to make scarves.

I decided to give this yarn a try this week, buying 3 skeins at AC Moore (on clearance 50% off).  The yarn is very soft, and surprisingly lightweight.  After experimenting with a size S crochet hook (Lion Speed Hook), then with size 35 knitting needles, I decided I preferred the look of the knitted fabric.  The crochet fabric was just too thick.

So, after playing with the yarn for a while, I held it in my hands, and imagined what I could make with it.  Too bulky for a hat, and I didn't want to make a scarf.  I considered making a baby blanket with it, but didn't think I had enough yarn for that.  There are only 12 yards in each skein.

After some consideration, I realized it reminded me of house slippers!  I figured that I could make a thick, fluffy slipper pretty quick with this yarn.  So, I went to work.  After just 30 minutes, my first slipper was finished!

I then wrote out the pattern, and made the second slipper.  Just as quick as the first.  

These slippers are SO comfy, and toasty warm! They are very thick, so I named them "Footississimo".  My geeky musician way of calling them Very Very Big Feet!  :)
Footississimo Complete

Quick and simple - YES, but don't get me wrong.....the yarn is NOT easy to work with.  It's a real workout, pushing the huge size 35 needle into each stitch, then wrapping the yarn (WHAP!) around for each stitch.  When pulling the yarn through the hole, you have to really work to make it happen.  So, I guess you could call it a "knitting workout".

I also used my size S crochet hook, to make an edging around the opening for the foot.  When I finished the slipper, I wove in the loose ends with my fingers.  There was no WAY I would find a yarn needle big enough to sew in the ends. Ha!

Here's the pattern:

FOOTISSISSIMO
Very Very Thick House Slippers

Size - Women's Shoe Size 8 or 9
(knit more or less rows before Row 7, to make it longer or shorter)

Materials
2 skeins Red Heart Boutique Doodle
Size 35 knitting needles
Size S crochet hook

Directions (Make 2)
Using knitting needles, cast on 7 stitches.  Be sure you pull each stitch snug against the knitting needle (not too tight, though!).  Leave at least an 8 inch tail of yarn, because you will use that end for seaming up the back of the slipper.

Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: Purl
Row 5: Knit
Row 6: Purl
Row 7: Slip first stitch knit-wise, knit next stitch, then pass the slipped stitch over the knitted stitch (SKPSSO), Knit the next 3 stitches, Slip the next 2 stitches knit-wise, then stick the left needle through both stitches left to right, and knit the two stitches together through the back loop (SSK).
Row 8: Purl
Row 9: Knit
Row 10: Purl
Row 11: Knit 1 stitch, SKPSSO, Knit 2 stitches
Row 12: Purl
Leaving a long end (about 2 feet), cut the yarn, and run it through the 4 stitches on the needle.

Now, your knitting should look like this:

Footississimo Ready to Seam

Seaming
Before seaming, decide which side you want on the outside of the slipper.  (Stockinette or Reverse Stockinette).  I made mine with the stockinette side showing.  To make the slipper, just fold the knitted piece lengthwise, and seam down the back of the heel, using your fingers to pull the yarn through openings on both sides - doing a whipstitch seam on the outside of the project.  Next, seam up the top of the foot, starting at the toe, leaving an opening big enough for your foot to slip in.

Crochet the Cuff
Next, tie the rest of your yarn onto the end that was left after seaming the top of the slipper.  Then, use your crochet hook to do a single crochet border around the opening for the foot.  This will make the slipper fit comfortably around your ankle, and keep your foot nice and warm. 

Finishing
Weave in any loose ends, using your fingers to pull the yarn through openings in the project.

Wasn't that easy?

Now, put on your slippers, and have fun sliding across the floors in your house! :)

Footississimo Posed

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a forum moderator and blogger for Spinrite Yarns (www.yarnspirations.com), and I spend WAY too much time there. :D You can also find me on the Knitting Help Forum occasionally