Saturday, July 18, 2009

Yarn Shopping in Greensboro, NC

This past week, I spent a few days in Greensboro with my hubby for his father's funeral. (The family is doing well, by the way.) While we were there, my hubby took me to some yarn shops in the area. I've been wanting to check them out for a long time, so this was a wonderful thing to do while we were there.



First, we went to "This & That", a nice little shop that carries yarn and supplies, as well as some nice clothing and accessories. The register is in the middle of the shop, and the shop is split down the middle for the two areas. Everything was displayed nicely, and the shop was clean and bright, with lots of sunshine coming in through the floor to ceiling windows at the front of the shop. The shop clerk was very friendly, and even took time to speak to my hubby. He was able to relax on the sofa as soon as we got there. He immediately started reading the book he brought. He knows I'm a slow yarn shopper.



I didn't have a lot of money to spend, but I found a great deal on some beautiful mohair. Just $7 a skein. This will make a nice remembrance scarf for my trip to Greensboro. I just love the color.

Lane Borgosesia Mohair - Peach



They had some beautiful shawl pins there, and I showed them to my hubby. (hint-hint)



Next, we went to "Stitch Point". On the way there, I told my hubby, "I bet this shop caters to needlepoint crafters." I was right. Most of their stock is for needlepoint and embroidery, but they did have a good selection of yarn and supplies at the back of the shop. My hubby sat at the teaching table at the front of the shop. Nothing in the shop jumped out at me with my limited budget. I did find a crochet hook I needed for doing edging on my knitted blankets, but I decided to wait on that. I told them goodbye and told them I'd come by at another time.



We were hungry by then, so we had something to eat and went to our hotel.



The next day, we went to "Gate City Yarns". I've been wanting to check out that shop for a long time, because they carry knitting and spinning supplies. This shop is in the heart of old downtown Greensboro, so it has a nice, eclectic feel. They even have a nice, gentle dog to greet you at the front door. My hubby went straight to the back, and relaxed on their comfy sofa. They have a small amount of stock, but they are all very good quality. Some good fiber, beautiful yarns, a few pretty wheels, and some nice patterns. There is plenty of floor room, so the shop feels open and comfortable - very homey. The clerk was very helpful and knowledgeable. I decided to buy a beautiful skein of Skacel Merino Lace. It will be perfect to make a lacy shawl for my sister-in-law.

Skacel Merino Lace - 1785



When I was at the register, my hubby was asking all kinds of questions about spinning wheels, and the clerk was very kind to him. I asked her for the price of the one bag of soft merino wool I saw at the entrance. It was very reasonable ($5 for the bag), and my hubby agreed to buy it for me. He also paid for the Merino Lace yarn. What a great hubby! :D

Spinner's Ridge Superwash Merino



I enjoyed my yarn shop crawl in Greensboro, and look forward to going again one day.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a forum moderator and blogger for Spinrite Yarns (www.yarnspirations.com), and I spend WAY too much time there. :D You can also find me on the Knitting Help Forum occasionally