Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Planning Miss Marple's "Diddle Dumpling"

As you know, I'm wanting to knit the "Diddle Dumpling" baby sweater, that Miss Marple (played by Joan Hickson) was knitting on "A Caribbean Mystery".

Diddle Dumpling is in this book

Thanks to a very intelligent person (basicallylois) on Ravelry, we now have the actual knitting pattern at our disposal! :)

So, I've been studying the pattern for about a week now, and I've figured out that I need to use size US 5 knitting needles. (The pattern calls for size 9 Bairnswear needles, which were vintage UK knitting needles.)

The yarn should knit to a gauge of 7 stitches per inch, so that's fingering. I'm sure that Miss Marple would only use 100% pure wool, so that's what I want to use also.

The sweater is a size 1-2 years, so it should fit a toddler. I don't know if I'll ever give it to anyone, though. Maybe it will be a fancy teddy bear sweater, on display in my craft room. Perhaps, I could dress up the bear with a "Miss Marple" style hat and glasses on a chain. :)

So....back to the yarn I need. I want to find the perfect vintage yarn for the sweater. I have quite a few vintage yarns in my stash already, and found one that might work. It's called "Rochelle Sweater and Sock Yarn", and is 100% virgin wool. It's a pretty aqua color, and is the right weight - fingering.

Rochelle Sweater Sock

I can't find ANYTHING online about that yarn. I wonder if I have the only two skeins left in the world? Ha!

Tonight, I will cast on and knit a few rows, just to see how the yarn might work for this project. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a forum moderator and blogger for Spinrite Yarns (www.yarnspirations.com), and I spend WAY too much time there. :D You can also find me on the Knitting Help Forum occasionally