Monday, December 6, 2010

Concentrating on Finishing Projects

I've been a good knitter lately, finishing up LOTS of stuff! Yay me! :)

So, how did the fire get lit under me to finish up my projects? A change of scenery! Recently, my hubby's kids came to visit for a couple days, so I had to move some things around to make room for them. This cleared out some junk from the living room, and I've been able to sit with my hubby every night to talk and watch tv together. Nice! I've brought ONE project at a time into the living room, and have been surprised to see the projects finish themselves up very quickly.

I guess I've been too distracted in my craft room, seeing all the things I should be working on. In the living room, I just knit or crochet, without thinking about anything else. Woo Hoo! I think I'll keep that spot on the sofa open from now on. :)

Take a look at all I've gotten done in the past few weeks:

I started a Drop-Stitch Scarf in June of this year, using some pretty Lion Landscapes yarn I had in my stash. (I cast on 12 stitches, with size 13 needles). I originally started it as a sample for my knitting students, but fell in love with it as I was knitting it. Now that it's finished, I am planning on using it as a Christmas gift for someone. I have enough yarn left to make another one, so I'll get on that after the holidays are over.
Drop-Stitch Scarf

This Ann Norling Snowflake Stocking is for display at Yarnhouse Knits (a yarn shop in Charlotte). SO glad I finished that one up before the holidays were completely over. Now, I just have to get my butt over there to deliver it! Ha!
Snowflake Stocking

Yesterday, I finished a knitted birthday gift for the choir director at my church. He has asked to be surprised, so I can't post a photo here. I will say that it was knit with wool yarn! He knows that already, because I had to ask him if he was allergic to wool.

The mother of one of my piano students recently asked me to knit a silver headband for her baby girl. I had some Lang Lanalux leftover from knitting the Snowflake Stocking, so I used it to knit a quick band. Now, I want to make a little flower to dress it up a little.
Silver Headband

Another of my piano students asked me to knit an ipod cozy for her, using "hot pink" yarn. I found some yarn in just the right shade (Red Heart Super Saver "Pretty in Pink"), and cast on 7 stitches with size 7 needles. After making it long enough for the front and back, I added a little flap in garter stitch, and made a loop for a button. I used a pink pony bead as a button. Quick and easy. The photo doesn't really show how cute it is. Maybe I'll take another when she puts her ipod in it.
iPod Cozy

I was on a roll, knitting requests by my piano students, so I got to work on another one. This was a completely different kind of project. My student had a hand-woven purse that she loved to use, but the strap was very weak, and broke after just a short time. So, she asked me to make another strap for her. I read the label inside: "100% Alpaca - Made in Peru". After looking closely at the construction of the purse, I realized that the only alpaca on the entire purse was the tiny tassels at the bottom of it. The rest was woven out of simple cotton yarn. So much for honesty from the Peruvians!

So, I set to work on finding a matching yarn to make a good strap. After checking at several craft stores and yarn shops, I was about to give up. Then, I was shopping for groceries at Walmart one day, and found a perfect match in the yarn department. Good old "Peaches & Creme" cotton in Black and Ecru. Ha!

Next, I had to decide how to use the yarns to make a good strap. I finally settled on making i-cord. But, I wanted it to use both colors. I decided to just switch colors every other row. Voila! I was making striped i-cord! :)
Handle for Woven Purse

It looks GREAT with the purse, and I think it captures the essence of the purse design well. I hope my student agrees with me.
New Handle for Woven Purse

With all that work behind me, now I can get to work on some other things I want to finish before Christmas. I'm making two scarves and a blanket for the Bernat Blog right now, as presents for three of my family members. Not sure when they will be published on that blog, so just keep checking back!

I'm also making a Christmas stocking, three blankets, a jacket, a hat, some curtains, a wrap, a bag, a shrug, and some socks for a friend. In addition to those projects, I'm finishing up 4 large Oddball Charity Blankets, 3 Oddball Baby Blankets, and 8 Oddball Shawls. They have been pushed aside for so long, because I have overcommitted myself to other projects. Time to make myself sit down and get them completed.

Maybe I should just bring one of the unfinished blankets to the living room? ;)

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a forum moderator and blogger for Spinrite Yarns (www.yarnspirations.com), and I spend WAY too much time there. :D You can also find me on the Knitting Help Forum occasionally